Welcome to August Vows

This blog started a year before the big day, and chronicled the wedding-planning from a bride's perspective. I considered closing it and starting a new one as a Mrs., but you know... our vows were the most important part of the day, and will be our backbone as we develop a life and family together. I can't think of anything more appropriate than continuing to call my blog August Vows, and so it's here to stay.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010 Reading Challenge

I'm participating in a reading challenge for 2010. My goal is to read 30 books this year, no re-reads. I made 15 last year, so this will be a push for me, but I think it is doable. I am also including audiobooks, as I've decided to make the most of my long commute.

Tonight I finished listening to Chronicles of Avonlea by one of my all-time favourite authors, L.M. Montgomery. A collection of short stories, our dear Anne Shirley appears several times. She isn't featured in any of the stories, but it nonetheless gave me a little thrill each time I heard her name, like running into an old friend.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this book. The short stories were just perfect for my commute to work – at an average of half an hour apiece, I could listen to approximately 3 between my drives to and from work. The stories were engrossing, and I found myself laughing many times. I am addicted to audiobooks all of a sudden, and I look forward to the Further Chronicles of Avonlea in the near future.

I highly recommend this book to anybody who has known Anne, though of course it isn't necessary at all! This would be a delightful read at nearly any age, and I'm sure I will listen to it, and probably pick up a paper copy, again and again.

Oh and... 1 down, 29 to go!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Kate! I love all the Anne of Green Gables books.......have read them over and over and over and .............