Welcome to August Vows

This blog started a year before the big day, and chronicled the wedding-planning from a bride's perspective. I considered closing it and starting a new one as a Mrs., but you know... our vows were the most important part of the day, and will be our backbone as we develop a life and family together. I can't think of anything more appropriate than continuing to call my blog August Vows, and so it's here to stay.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cleaning the Veil

Okay... I'm mainly trying this post as a way to try working with pictures. I happen to have pictures of the cleaning-the-veil process. As you may remember from previous posts, I've decided to wear my mom's veil for my ceremony, which I'm pretty excited about it. But at 30 years old, it needed a good cleaning. Here is a closeup of the headpiece pre-cleaning:


I don't know if you can tell, but it has some age-spot stains here that I wanted to remove. I was really nervous about cleaning it up, but all it took was some liquid tide, a bit of Oxy-Clean, a bathtub full of warm water, and patience. I let it soak in the sudsy tub for about 30 minutes, going in now and then to swish it around. Then I rinsed it well, and hung it in the shower, like so (my apologies for the photo-quality here. The lighting in the shower was terrible):


The veil came out really, really white. My dress is not white. There is some irony to the fact that I cleaned it so well and now have to see if I can "antique" it a bit using tea. But the yellowing is gone, at least. I do need to do a bit of repair. You can see here that some of the lace un-glued in the cleaning process:

And finally, the picture you probably all want to see -- the veil on yours truly. I like this picture because it shows the fullness and the length. No, we do not still have a Christmas wreath hanging. I did this picture before the cleaning! I'm cheating the order just a little.

By the way, when I took this veil in to compare next to my dress, the owner of the store says she really sees these cap-style headpieces taking the place of the combs and tiaras and becoming the style again. What do you think? Is this vintage look ready for a comeback?


No comments: